Monday 13 May 2013

Euro-spiration Part 9: Florence

Florence is the undisputed birthplace of all things Renaissance, and is our second-last stop on our eight week Europe trip.

Growing up, I was always surrounded by art books and artworks belonging to my mum and through this, I developed an interest in art myself. While my favourite period of art was without a doubt the Surrealist period (Salvador Dali is my homeboy), I decided in high school that my next favourite was the Renaissance.
That, coupled with the beautiful architecture, made Florence an obvious choice for me.

Florence is the capital city of the province of Tuscany and is ranked as one of the wealthiest cities of all time as well as one of the most beautiful. The city is home to the extremely famous Michelangelo's David, along with the Ponte Vecchio and the fourth largest church in Europe, the Santa Maria del Fiore. 

The Santa Maria del Fiore is more commonly known as the Florence Cathedral, or The Duomo (meaning 'Dome') and is another reason for my being drawn to this place. My motivations for this are not religious, but rather (along with millions of other tourists each other) architectural. While I'm no architecture buff, there is something so incredibly beautiful and delicate about it's Gothic Revival faรงade.

Florence is always said to be a 'walking city' that is best enjoyed at a leisurely, relaxing pace, and we plan to do just that.
If you do have any tips/places/restaurants (budget) for us to try out, please feel free to leave a comment in the comments section. 


































No comments:

Post a Comment