Sunday 19 May 2013

Euro-spiration Part 10: Rome

Well, here we are at the end of our 'Euro-spiration' blog post journey. In hindsight, I could have separated my Ireland post into the separate posts that Dublin and Cork rightly deserved, but in a moment of blonde-ness I didn't think I had enough weeks. Turned out I did, as I could have stretched it to next Monday, but at least it's left me with more time to plan last minute things to do with my trip, rather than typing posts and daydreaming about it.

We end our eight-week long trip in The Eternal City; the capital city of the Roman Empire and what most consider the birthplace of Western civilization itself. 

Of the most well-known explanations of Rome's beginnings is the story of Romulus and Remus, the twins who were suckled by a she-wolf. The twins grew up, decided to build a city (as you do) and then after an argument, Romulus killed his brother.
For centuries, Rome was the most powerful, politically important, richest and largest city in the Western world, before it officially ended in 1453 with the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks.

Each year, millions of tourists flock to Rome to visit the Vatican City. The home of the Pope exists as its own state and is home to around 800 people. The Vatican has its own unique political system, military and police, and even issues its own coins.  

While visiting this ancient city, we will visiting the Colosseum, the Forum, Palatine Hill (already booked as a combined ticket. No lines for us!) as well as doing the other standard tourist thing of throwing a coin behind us into the Trevi Fountain. We will also be visiting the Vatican, seeing the Pantheon and probably just generally eating our body weight in food. One other thing which I'm super excited about, is our epic day trip to Pompeii. The ruins are much closer to Naples than Rome, however it is apparently very doable from Rome, and I don't think I could live with myself if I was in Italy and didn't get to see it.

To anyone who has stuck it out and read all my Euro-spiration posts, you are to be commended. It seems very surreal to think that the next travel-related posts I do will be based on my actual experiences. I'm still unsure as to how much I'll actually be able to blog without a computer, but I will do my best. If you want to follow my trip in pictures, please feel free to follow me on Instagram (Username: thepeonymuse). You can also like my Facebook page by clicking here.

Any tips on Rome are welcome, as always. I'll say "hey" to Pope Francis for you.

























































No comments:

Post a Comment