Thursday 21 February 2013

All Over It

I don't think I even need to say it, but I will anyway.

Fashion comes in cycles.

Every single piece of clothing that you are wearing now was in style decades ago, or will be in style again in 10 years time. This is a given.

That statement, structured, power-shouldered blazer you own? Someone designed that in the 80s.
The Sass & Bide harem pants you bought last year? Yeah. You can thank the 80s for that too.
Let's not even touch on the white, flowy, lace, bell-sleeved, 1970s Stevie Nicks dress from Mink Pink last year.
No seriously, don't touch it, it's my favourite dress.

There is one trend I am particular curious about this season, mainly just to see if it catches on. It's borderline hideous, which I absolutely love, but if worn properly it can be pulled off to perfection. While I'm excited to possibly join the party, I am also slightly disappointed that I only threw mine out about three years ago from when I was 15 (I told my then-boyfriend that they would make a come-back).

I am, of course, talking about the overall trend.

Not really a bottom, not appropriate without a top, overalls got their obvious start on factory workers as protective clothing. Somewhere along the line, some genius decided that little Susie would look cute in a floral pair and then hey presto! A fashion trend was born.

Anyone who is reading this as a child who grew up in the 80s/90s will remember wearing overalls probably a little bit longer than you care to admit, but whether you like it or not, they are back in a big way.

Below are some of my favourites that I've come across on my "simply browsing shopping websites because I'm meant to be saving" sessions.

(Click picture to be directed to source)
 
 





 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. good point on the cyclical nature of fashion - makes it harder to parse and trim down the closet though! ("this might be fashionable sometime laterrrr...")
    the first photo is super cute! the floral short overalls is interesting too. sadly I think overalls, or jumpsuits for that matter, are tricky to pull off in terms of fit and proportions, esp. for people with curves/heavier bottoms :/

    gz x
    wherewearwe're

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am majorly guilty of keeping things because I think that maybe one day it will come back around!

      I definitely agree with the point about different body types. I'm a bit of a pear-shape myself, but I think as long as it's balanced out up the top and you have a good cut for the bottom half that's flattering, you're all set. Definitely a trend that is best worn with a lot of confidence ;)

      xx

      Delete